The first known globes which were manufactured in Berlin date back to the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th centuries. Although the cartographer Daniel Friedrich Sotzmann and the astronomer Johann Elert Bode, who created these high-quality terrestrial and celestial globes, worked in Berlin, the globes were still manufactured in Nuremberg. A short time later, the first relief globe for blind people (based on the ideas of Johann August Zeune) was manufactured in Berlin. It was only after 1850 that Berlin became one of the centres for globe production : Globe makers and globe publishers like Dietrich Reimer, Ernst Schotte, Julius Heymann, as well as Peter and Paul Oestergaard produced the bulk of the German globe production.
Within the framework of the collection activities of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sammlung Deutscher Drucke the map department of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin also acquires globes from the German speaking area, manufactured between 1801 and 1912 – incidentally at the same time when production of globes started in Berlin. Currently the department holds 60 globes which were manufactured in Berlin during this time. With a similar intensity level, the map department also collects and preserves German globes produced until ca. 1955.
Berlin globe makers 1800-1955
The following pages are arranged according to globe makers. They also provide some infomation on the history of the publisher and show items held by the Staatsbibliothek.