The StabiStart library card gives you the possibility to get to know our library and many of our services for a period of three days – it is free of charge! This is an opportunity for all interested persons from Germany and elsewhere who so far had no library card of the Staatsbibliothek.
On the day of your registration and the next two days you can
- read and work in our general reading rooms and most of our special reading rooms and use all books on the shelves of the reading rooms,
- order books and journals from the main stacks and read them in the reading room,
- get information and advice at our enquiry desks,
- use the Internet workstations in the reading rooms,
- make scans in our copy service (not free of charge),
- use the Wifi service and
- have access to our electronic resources in the reading rooms (databases, full text resources).
Get to know the Staatsbibliothek!
Daily introductory tours at the site Potsdamer Straße:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 11am
- Tuesday and Thursday at 5pm
- Duration: ca. 45 minutes,
- Short description and history of the library, catalogue search, tour of all service points,
- Meeting point: „I-Punkt“ in the entrance hall,
- In German or in English.
As there are often many users in the reading room at Unter den Linden, we recommend that you start your visit at the building Potsdamer Straße.
Please come to one of our sites and register for StabiStart. For your registration please bring either an identity card, or a passport, or another official identification document.
The StabiStart library card is valid for only three days. When after these three days, you wish to come back to the library, you may select a library card either valid for one month (fee: 12 €) or a year (fee: 30 €).
With the library card you can:
- have remote access to many of our electronic resources
- make interlibrary loan requests,
- use our special research services,
- use additional services in the electronic library account (notifications, etc.),
- have access to the Rare books and music reading room, and
- borrow books and take them home if you have an official document that confirms that you are resident in Germany.
Good to know: Minors who are older than 16 are also welcome: they can try StabiStart, and can also be registered for the normal library cards. What they need in any case is a declaration of consent of their parent or legal guardian.