- Access to the library only for people considering the 3G rules
- Minimum distance of 1.50 metres in the whole building
- Wearing a surgical mask is mandatory in the whole building
- Access to the building for a reduced numer of users only with Anmeldung (registration)
- Only recovered and vaccinated persons (2G rule) are granted access to the reading rooms; exception: persons under 18 years of age are granted access upon presentation of a negative test updated on a daily basis
- Strict separation of exit and entrance
- Marked ways
- Postings with hygiene recommendations in the building
- Protective plastic screens at the service counters
Basic Legal Regulations
In principle, the library (SBB-PK) follows the regulations of the current Fourth SARS-CoV-2 Infection Protection Measures Ordinance of the Berlin Senate, the hygiene concept of the Berlin Senate Department for Culture and Europe, the SARS-CoV-2 Act on the Protection of People at Work of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, the respective recommendations of the Robert Koch-Institut relating to infection protection as well as additional regulations of the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz. Regarding the use of the reading rooms, § 29 article 3 of the Fourth SARS-CoV-2 Infection Protection Measures Ordinance applies.
General Regulations – Social Distancing and Hygiene Measures
People with unclear symptoms that might be related to SARS-CoV-2 should not visit the Staatsbibliothek. This is equally true for users, staff members and other employees.
Mouth and nose have to be covered according to the current official regulations.
At the entrance points of the library as well as in all user areas sanitisers for the disinfection of hands and surfaces are available. The website of the library and posters show and explain the hygiene and social distancing rules. In the sanitary rooms users find recommendations on hand hygiene.
Cleaning routines and air ventilation have been modified in order to minimise the risk of infection in closed rooms.
All control points and service desks in the user areas are equipped with protective screens .
Supervisory staff controls the compliance with safety and hygiene measures.
Entrance and Exit
In the entrance and exit areas safety signs mark the ways users should take in order to avoid that they cross other users‘ paths. Markings on the floor help to observe social distancing when passing the control points.
Security personnel takes care that the allowed maximum number of persons per square metre is not exceeded, social distancing rules are observed and mouth and nose are covered in the prescribed way.
Use of the Reading Rooms
The number of available study places in all reading rooms of the Staatsbibliothek is limited according to the prescribed minimum distance and the allowed maximum number of persons per square metre.
The use of reading rooms is only possible for readers who comply with the regulations of the current Infection Protection Measures Ordinance of the Berlin Senate. If necessary, an access pass, stating that on the given day current regulations are fulfilled, will be given to the user.
Access to the library is controlled by the necessity to pre-book a time slot and the attribution of a limited number of access permits to registered users who have no booked time slots.
Borrowing and Returning Library Items
In the book collection area (Potsdamer Straße) the access is controlled by security personnel which takes care that the maximum number of persons per square metre will not be exceeded. Signage and markings on the floor help to observe social distancing rules.
(Status: 10 January 2022)
- According to the current Infection Protection Ordinance, events may only take place under 2G conditions. 2G means that, in principle, only persons who have been vaccinated or have recovered as defined by the ordinance are admitted.
- For events we also use a booking system in order to manage the number of people attending. Please note the obligation to register for the events. Your data will be stored in accordance with the Infection Protection Ordinance Berlin exclusively for the purpose of infection tracking for 14 days and then deleted. You find information on the registration in the respective announcements at https://blog.sbb.berlin/termin.
- According to the Infection Protection Ordinance we are obliged to document the presence of visitors. As for events we capture your contact data as a result of your registration and regarding exhibitons this may be done on-site. Data will be destroyed after four weeks
- We have limited the number of possible attendants in our event locations in such a way that always social distancing is possible. Please follow the instructions of our staff when you enter and leave the rooms. When you have reached your seat, you can take your mask off.
- Currently, we do not offer guided tours. We are very sorry for that, but your health has priority. In case of new developments, we will inform you on this website.