Due to the restrictions on the use of the library in connection with the prevention measures for COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we have temporarily modified the registration procedure.
You may first register online and only present your documents when you come to us to fetch your library card or to pick up books you have ordered.
In detail, we currently offer the following services:
Register online to be able to order books from us before your first visit. This will also give you access to the electronic resources of our library.
Registration via StabiOnline is valid for one month. If you would like to continue using the services of the Staatsbibliothek either on site or after one month, you will then need a regular library account.
The steps of online registration
- Please fill out our registration form. Here you will also find information on the library's conditions of use and data protection.
- Send us the following documents by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: surname, first name) as a scan or photo (surname, first name, address and date of birth must be clearly legible on the scan, further details can be blacked out):
- valid German identity card (front and back) OR
- valid EU passport (with a registration certificate if you wish to take books home)
- for non-EU citizens, also the valid residence permit (front and back)
- When these documents are complete, a library account will be created which is valid for one month. Via e-mail you will receive your library card number and the reference to your password in non-encrypted form by e-mail.
Proof of residence in Germany is required if you wish to borrow media for use at home. Without this official proof, you can only use books in the reading room.
Conversion to a regular library account
If you present your original identification documents, we can convert the online account into a regular library account and extend its validity to one year.
Registration directly on site
Of course you can also register directly on site. If you would like to prepare your registration, you can print out the registration form and fill it out before your visit to our library.
The minimum age for authorisation of use is 16 years. Up to the age of eighteen, a declaration of consent from a parent or legal guardian is required. This declaration of consent can be obtained on site at our registration desk or can be printed out before the visit by clicking on the following link: Declaration of consent
In addition, the applicant's identity card and the identity card (or a copy) of the parent or legal guardian must be presented for registration.
Your personal library card has expired? Our Renewal Service offers the possibility of renewing library cards online.
The conditions to use this Service are:
- You already have an annual library card for the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
- You are a personally registered user of the Staatsbibliothek
- Your library account has not been blocked (i.e. due to unpaid fees). Please check your library account in advance.
Please visit our Lending Desks if you would like to exchange your StabiStart-Card for a an annual library card. This procedure is not accepted online.
After successful renewal of your library card you will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards you can use your library card as before. To update your personal data such as address, visa etc. you must visit us onsite.
Guidelines for the use of our collections are laid down in the Benutzungsordnung (Conditions of use), the Gebührenordnung (Charges and fees) and in the Hausordnung (House rules).
Corporate users (companies, institutes, chairs, etc.) can also register via the StabiOnline login before their first visit.
Please note that for licensing reasons, we cannot offer corporate users remote access to electronic resources.
In order to register as a corporate user, you will need, in addition to the registration form, a letterhead from your institution on which you name up to three authorised signatories with the appropriate signatures. This document also has to be signed by the management of the institution. Once all the documents have been submitted, the library card can be handed over to one of the authorised signatories on presentation of their identity card.
In general, we can only issue one copy of the library card per institution, which can be shared by the persons authorised to sign.
Currently, the registration for corporate users is also free of charge.