The Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin holds almost 12 million books, journals, newspapers, databases and electronic resources at both sites. In terms of content, the focus is on the humanities and social sciences. In addition, there are special collections:
- medieval and modern manuscripts
- historical prints
- sheet music, maps, newspapers, literary estates
- legal literature, parliamentary papers
- children's and young people‘s books
- regional special collections: Eastern Europe, East Asia, Orient
Most of the literature is stored in stacks which are not freely accessible. Therefore literature must be ordered in advance online for use at home or in the reading rooms.
Important basic and reference works are freely available in the reading rooms, but cannot be borrowed for use at home, as can publications that were published before 1920 or are particularly valuable and worthy of protection. Free WiFi and computer workstations with Internet access and office programs are available in the reading rooms.
The library can be used free of charge by anyone over the age of 16. A library card from the Staatsbibliothek is required for access to the reading rooms and all other services. You can apply for this online.
Please note the current hygiene regulations in our FAQ | Covid-19.
A valid library card allows you to order up to 60 items online via the StabiKat catalogue. The catalogue indicates whether books can be borrowed for use at home or in the reading rooms.
Through your library account, you can check the status of your orders, extend loan periods, reserve volumes that have already been borrowed, and find out if and where your ordered items are ready to be picked up (notes on item delivery times from the stacks).
Ordered items are available for you at the following locations:
Borrowing for use at home:
- Haus Potsdamer Straße, Book collection area at the Lending desk, ground floor
Items requested to the reading rooms:
- Haus Unter den Linden, in the General Reading Room (main level), rear part
- Haus Potsdamer Straße reading room loans (Lesesaalausleihen) in the General Reading Room (main level), near information desk
The loan period is 30 days and can be renewed ten times online.
Books borrowed for use at home may be returned in both sites.
Additionally you may rent permanent lockers, lockable carts for study desks and carrels, and you may apply for extending your loan quota. We are happy to support students and researchers with a wide range of advisory and training services.