You have the possibility to request reproductions of collection materials of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin. The final decision on this is made by the Staatsbibliothek and depends on the respective state of preservation of the materials.
We will process your request as quickly as possible. Please understand that processing will take at least three working days.
The prices on the currently valid List of Charges of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin apply.
Order of reproductions from public domain material: Terms of service
§ 1 Purpose
The purpose of these terms and conditions is, on the one hand, to enable the customer to make use of the digital images according to his/her interests and, and on the other hand, to enable the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (SPK) to make the files available in accordance with its public mandate.
This includes that SPK can:
- a. make the generated digital images available to the public as part of its digital services,
- b. grant third parties further rights of use, and
- c. grant rights of use to all potential users by means of an open-content license or label thedigital copies with a "public domain" notice.
§ 2 Use
- a. Should the customer publish or publicly reproduce the work represented by the digital images for the first time and thereby acquire an ancillary copyright in accordance with Section 71 of the German Copyright Act (UrhG), he/she shall transfer this ancillary copyright to SPK to its full extent.
- b. In return, SPK grants to the customer the non-exclusive, perpetual and geographically unlimited right to reproduce, distribute, transform and publicly communicate the work in any form. The customer is entitled to grant these rights of use to third parties.
- c. SPK has no obligation to name the customer individually.
- d. SPK cannot guarantee for every case that copyrights to the materials no longer exist. The customer is responsible for compliance with legal regulations.
- e. SPK is only obligated to fulfill the order if the materials are in a digitizable condition and have not been lost. In these cases, SPK will inform the customer immediately.
- f. In the event that the customer publishes a reproduction produced by the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, the SPK asks the customer to send a specimen copy to
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
Abteilung IIA Bestandsaufbau
Potsdamer Straße 33
According to §64 of the "Gesetz über Urheberrecht und verwandte Schutzrechte (Urheberrechtsgesetz)", copyright expires seventy years after the death of the author. The Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin cannot guarantee in every case that copyrights to the materials no longer exist. You are responsible for compliance with the law.
The Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin preserves a total of approximately 12 million different items, including the historical print collection with 3 million volumes. In addition, our collections contain rare and valuable special materials, e.g., musical scores, Orientalia and Western manuscripts. You can also directly contact the relevant departments for questions/orders regarding these holdings.