You can register for the first time online or in person at one of our registration counters in either Haus Potsdamer Straße („Leihstelle“) or Haus Unter den Linden („Bücherausgabe“). If you register online, you will receive a temporary library card number from us, with which you can already order media for loan as well as use our electronic resources. When you pick up your ordered media, please ask for a regular library card at the registration desk of the lending desk (Leihstelle) or the book issue desk (Bücherausgabe).
The StabiOnline service is not renewable. If you do not have a regular library card issued within one month, your authorisation to use electronic resources will also expire.
Registration is free of charge.
In detail, we offer the following services:
Register online to be able to order books from us before your first visit. This will also give you access to the electronic resources of our library.
The steps of online registration
- Please fill out our registration form. Here you will also find information on the library's conditions of use and data protection.
- Send us the following documents by e-mail to email@example.com (subject: surname, first name) as a scan or photo (surname, first name, address and date of birth must be clearly legible on the scan, further details can be blacked out):
- valid German identity card (front and back) OR
- valid EU passport (with a registration certificate if you wish to take books home)
- for non-EU citizens, also the valid residence permit (front and back)
- When these documents are complete, a library account will be created which is valid for one month. Via e-mail you will receive your library card number and a notification regarding your password in non-encrypted form by e-mail.
Proof of residence in Germany is required if you wish to borrow media for use at home. Without this official proof, you can only use books in the reading room.
Conversion to a regular library account
At our registration counters you can have your online registration converted into a regular library account and receive a corresponding library card. Please present the necessary identity documents and the signed registration form. Borrowing items rom the library is only possible with a regular library card.
Registration directly on site
You can register in person at one of our registration counters in the Potsdamer Straße building or in the Unter den Linden building. You are welcome to print out and fill in the registration form before your visit. Please remember to bring the identity documents required for registration.
The minimum age for admission is 16 years. For this purpose, a declaration of consent from a parent or guardian is required until the age of eighteen. You are welcome to print out and complete the Declaration of consent before your visit.
In addition to the above-mentioned documents, the identity card of the parent or guardian must also be presented for registration.
Your personal library card has expired? You can extend the validity in person at the Lending Desk or Issue Desk or online.
The following requirements apply for an online renewal:
- You already have a library card for the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
- You are a personally registered user of the Staatsbibliothek
- Your library account has not been blocked (i.e. due to unpaid fees). Please check your library account in advance.
If there are any problems with the transmission, please contact us by e-mail and send your renewal request to: Ausweisverlaengerungsservice@sbb.spk-berlin.de
After successful renewal of your library card you will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards you can use your library card as before.
Guidelines for the use of our collections are laid down in the Benutzungsordnung - Gebührenordnung (Conditions of use - Charges and fees) and in the Hausordnung (House rules).
Updates of personal details (address, visa, etc.) can be requested both on site and via the registration service. Please report at the counter or send your change requests and a scan of the official documents to the following mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Corporate users (companies, institutes, chairs, etc.) can also register via the StabiOnline login before their first visit.
Please note that for licensing reasons, we cannot offer corporate users remote access to electronic resources.
In order to register as a corporate user, you will need, in addition to the registration form, a letterhead from your institution on which you name up to three authorised signatories with the appropriate signatures. This document also has to be signed by the management of the institution. You can send this letter as a scan to the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
The library card will be given to you on site.
In general, we can only issue one copy of the library card per institution, which can be shared by the persons authorised to sign.
The registration for corporate users is also free of charge.
The renewal of the validity of your corporate library card can be applied for in person and also by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org incl. scans of the documents listed above.