For access to the Reading Rooms as well as for all other services you need to register for a library card of the Staatsbibliothek. You can get a library card if you are at least 16 years old.
You can register either online or in person at the Lending Desks of both library sites.
Together with issuing your library card, a library account is created for you to check and manage your loans and potential overdue fines.
There are two ways to register:
If you would like to register for a library card in person, you may come directly to one of our Lending Desks.
A library card offers
- access to electronic resources of the Staatsbibliothek, even remotely,
- to borrow media for use at home or in the reading room,
- access to WiFi WLAN-SBB,
- renewal of the library card always for one year.
Please remember to bring the required original identification documents (no foto or scan):
- valid German identity card (front and back) OR
- valid EU passport (with a registration certificate) if you wish to take books home,
- for non-EU citizens a passport, ID (with a valid visa or residence permit, front and back) if you wish to take books home.
You are welcome to print and fill out the application from prior to your visit.
An online registration is valid for 30 days and enables you
- to access electronic resources,
- to access all reading rooms,
- to order items during a period of 14 days for use in the reading room only.
Please fill out our registration form (application for admission). There you find more information on the library's conditions of use and data protection.
After that, we will set up a temporary library account which is valid for 30 days. You will receive a library card number and your password in non-encrypted form via email.
Within these 30 days you will receive a physical library card valid for one year at one of the our registration desks. All data will be transferred to a new user number which you'll find on your library card. Please note that an online registration cannot be renewed. Without getting a physical library card your library account will expire after 30 days.
Up to the age of 18, a declaration of consent from a parent or guardian is required. You are welcome to print out and fill out the Declaration of Consent before your visit. In addition to the above-mentioned documents, the identity card of the parent or guardian (in original or as copy) must also be presented for registration. You will then receive your library card immediately.
Minors have the same options for registrations as mentioned above (register in pesron on site for 1 year or register online for 6 weeks).
Corporate entities such as institutions, academic chairs, or companies have the option to get a library card issued for their organization. You can also register your institution online in advance or have your card issued on site. Registration is free of charge.
Please note that for licensing reasons, we cannot offer corporate library card owners remote access to electronic resources.
In order to register for a corporate library card, you will need,
- an application form,
- a letterhead from your institution on which you name up to three authorised signatories with the appropriate signatures. This document also has to be signed by the management of the institution. You can send this letter as a scan to the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
The corporate library card can be obtained by one of the authorized signers at one of our lending desks. For this purpose, please bring
- the letterhead of the institution,
- the signed registration form and
- an original personal identification card.
In general, we can only issue one copy of the library card per institution, which can be shared by the persons authorised to sign.
The renewal of the validity of your corporate library card can be applied for in person and also by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org incl. scans of the documents listed above.
Your personal library card has expired? You can extend the validity in person at the Lending Desk or Issue Desk or online for free.
The following requirements apply for an online renewal:
- You already have a library card for the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
- You are a personally registered user of the Staatsbibliothek
- Your library account has not been blocked (i.e. due to unpaid fees). Please check your library account in advance.
Please, find here the Renewal Form.
After successful renewal of your library card you will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards you can use your library card as before.
Guidelines for the use of our collections are laid down in the Benutzungsordnung - Gebührenordnung (Conditions of use - Charges and fees) and in the Hausordnung (House rules).
Updates of personal data (address, name, visa, etc.) can be requested both on site and via the registration service. Please report at the counter or send your change requests and a scan of the official documents to the following e-mail address: email@example.com