For access to the reading rooms as well as for all other services, you need a library card of the Staatsbibliothek, which you will receive on site when you register. Anyone over the age of 16 can register.
The library card is linked to the creation of your own library account for viewing borrowing status and overdue fines.
Please change your password to use the electronic resources and the WLAN-SBB.
You have the following options to register:
If you would like to register for a library card in person, you may come directly to one of our Registration Desks.
A library card enables you to:
- access the library's electronic resources (licence permitting remotely),
- borrow media for use at home or in the reading room,
- access to WiFi WLAN-SBB,
- renew your library card (always for one year).
Please remember to bring the required original identification documents (no foto or scan):
- valid German identity card (front and back) OR
- valid EU passport (with a registration certificate) if you wish to borrow media for use at home,
- for non-EU citizens a passport, ID (with a valid visa or residence permit, front and back) if you wish to take books home.
You are welcome to print and fill out the application form prior to your visit.
An online registration is valid for 30 days and enables you
- to access electronic resources,
- to access all reading rooms,
- to order items during a period of 14 days for use in the reading room only.
Please fill out our registration form (application for admission). You'll find more information on the library's conditions of use and data protection on that form.
After that, we will set up a temporary library account which is valid for 30 days. You will receive a temporary library card number and your password in non-encrypted form via email.
You will receive the library card on-site after presenting your identification documents and the completed registration form. This card will then be valid for an entire year. All requested materials will be transferred to a new number.
Up to the age of 18, a declaration of consent from a parent or guardian is required. You are welcome to print out and fill out the Declaration of Consent before your visit. In addition to the above-mentioned documents, the identity card of the parent or guardian (in original or as copy) must also be presented for registration. You will then receive your library card immediately.
Minors have the same options for registrations as mentioned above (register in person on site for 1 year or register online for 30 days).
Corporate entities such as institutions, academic chairs, or companies have the option to get a library card issued for their organization. You can also register your institution online in advance or have your card issued on site. Registration is free of charge.
Please note that for licensing reasons, we cannot offer corporate library card owners remote access to electronic resources.
In order to register for a corporate library card, you will need,
- an application form,
- a letterhead from your institution on which you name up to three authorised signatories with the appropriate signatures. This document also has to be signed by the management of the institution. You can send this letter as a scan to the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
The corporate library card can be obtained by one of the authorized signers at one of our lending desks. For this purpose, please bring
- the letterhead of the institution,
- the signed registration form and
- an original personal identification card.
In general, we can only issue one copy of the library card per institution, which can be shared by the persons authorised to sign.
The renewal of the validity of your corporate library card can be applied for in person and also by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org incl. scans of the documents listed above.
Renewing your library account and library card is free of charge. You can have it renewed either in person or do it online (see below). It doesn't matter if your library account has expired a while ago. Your library membership is always prolonged for another year. Please use this Renewal Form.
The following requirements apply for an online renewal:
- You already have a library card for the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
- You are a personally registered user of the Staatsbibliothek
- Your library account has not been blocked (i.e. due to unpaid fees). Please check your library account in advance.
After successful renewal of your library card you will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards you can use your library card as before.
Guidelines for the use of our collections are laid down in the Benutzungsordnung - Gebührenordnung (Conditions of use - Charges and fees) and in the Hausordnung (House rules).
Updates of personal data (address, name, visa, etc.) can be requested both on site and via the registration service. Please report at the counter or send your change requests and a scan of the official documents to the following e-mail address: email@example.com