Due to the consequences of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) restrictions and necessary prevention measures on library use, we have temporarily modified the registration procedure.
Initial registration is now exclusively online. You will receive a temporary library card number from us, with which you can initially order and borrow books and use our electronic resources for a period of one month. When the validity expires, we will be happy to extend the period for you and offer you the opportunity to exchange your temporary, virtual library card for a permanent, physical card at a later date.
In detail, we currently offer the following services:
Register online to be able to order books from us before your first visit. This will also give you access to the electronic resources of our library.
The steps of online registration
- Please fill out our registration form. Here you will also find information on the library's conditions of use and data protection.
- Send us the following documents by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: surname, first name) as a scan or photo (surname, first name, address and date of birth must be clearly legible on the scan, further details can be blacked out):
- valid German identity card (front and back) OR
- valid EU passport (with a registration certificate if you wish to take books home)
- for non-EU citizens, also the valid residence permit (front and back)
- When these documents are complete, a library account will be created which is valid for one month. Via e-mail you will receive your library card number and the reference to your password in non-encrypted form by e-mail.
Proof of residence in Germany is required if you wish to borrow media for use at home. Without this official proof, you can only use books in the reading room.
Conversion to a regular library account
This is currently not possible due to the pandemic situation. However, the validity of the online registration can be extended if necessary. It is also possible to borrow media without having a regular library card.
Registration directly on site
Direct on-site registration is not possible due to the pandemic situation. Registration is currently only possible online.
The minimum age for authorisation of use is 16 years. Up to the age of eighteen, a declaration of consent from a parent or legal guardian is required. This declaration of consent can be accessed via the following link: Declaration of consent and must also be scanned and sent to us.
In addition to the above-mentioned documents, the identity card of the legal guardian must also be scanned and sent for registration.
Your personal library card has expired? Our Renewal Service offers the possibility of renewing library cards online.
The conditions to use this Service are:
- You already have an annual library card for the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
- You are a personally registered user of the Staatsbibliothek
- Your library account has not been blocked (i.e. due to unpaid fees). Please check your library account in advance.
After successful renewal of your library card you will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards you can use your library card as before. To update your personal data such as address, visa etc. you must visit us onsite.
Guidelines for the use of our collections are laid down in the Benutzungsordnung (Conditions of use), the Gebührenordnung (Charges and fees) and in the Hausordnung (House rules).
Changes of personal details (address, visa, etc.) can currently only be requested by e-mail. Please send your change requests and a scan of the official documents to the following mail address: email@example.com
If there are any problems with the form transmission, please contact the team of the Renewal Service by e-mail with your renewal request: Ausweisverlaengerungsservice@sbb.spk-berlin.de
Corporate users (companies, institutes, chairs, etc.) can also register via the StabiOnline login before their first visit.
Please note that for licensing reasons, we cannot offer corporate users remote access to electronic resources.
In order to register as a corporate user, you will need, in addition to the registration form, a letterhead from your institution on which you name up to three authorised signatories with the appropriate signatures. This document also has to be signed by the management of the institution. You can send this letter as a scan to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The corresponding library card can only be issued once we have resumed our desk service.
In general, we can only issue one copy of the library card per institution, which can be shared by the persons authorised to sign.
Currently, the registration for corporate users is also free of charge.