The following items are only provided for onsite use in the reading room:
- pre-1920 books
- large-sized books (folio)
- items that contain mainly illustrations
- unbound serials
The following materials can only be used at Haus Unter den Linden:
- large-sized volumes (marked by 2” or 2°) of the historical holdings,
- specific shelfmark groups: official journals, Bibl. Varnhagen, Bibl. Diez, Krieg, etc.
- parts of the Music Department holdings.
Volumes that require special protection can only be requested to the Rare Books Reading Room.
Such items are:
- Books published before 1850
- Items of historical holdings that are restricted for use „Nur für den Lesesaal unter Aufsicht“ (NfLSu.A.) = „Use limited to reading room under supervision“
- Books published later than 1850 containing high-quality illustrations (original graphics, engravings, lithographs, hand-coloured prints or other illustrations for which a special printing technique was used, etc.)
- Works that violate criminal law – in particular publications liable to corrupt the young / pornographic / inciting to hatred or National Socialist.
When such items are requested, only the issue desk of the Rara-Lesesaal (Rare Books Reading Room) is displayed.
Please observe the special conditions of use in the Rare Books Reading Room:
There it is necessary – in addition to a library card – to also present an identification document. Water bottles are not allowed. If you want to consult your books in that reading room, please make a booking for the Rare Books Reading Room.