Eastern Europe Department
The Eastern Europe Department of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin holds one of the world’s most important collections of Eastern European literature outside the region. The department offers a wide range of information resources, including:
- over 1,4 million publications from Eastern Europe,
- about 2,750 current subscriptions to print journals (including yearbooks and magazine-style series as of 2020) from Eastern European countries,
- access to a wide range of licensed and free electronic resources for research on Eastern European and Slavic studies,
- the Slavistik-Portal for searching in library catalogues, databases, and electronic full texts,
- valuable historic holdings, and special collections.
The main focus of the collections of the Eastern Europe Department is in the field of the humanities and similar subjects. The collections are continuously expanded, developed, preserved and digitized; and they are readily made accessible to library users.
Specialised Information Services of the DFG (German Research Foundation)
Among the supraregional tasks of the Eastern Europe Department is the Specialised Information Service Slavonic Studies (Fachinformationsdienst; FID Slawistik), which is funded by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft; DFG). The department supports CrossAsia – FID Asia, as wells as FID International and Interdisciplinary Legal Research, through acquiring relevant publications and information resources from the served region.